At St. Edward's, everything we do is inspired by Christ's example.
Our mission is to provide opportunities for our parish community, parents, staff and children to have meaningful encounters with Christ, driven by our Mission Statement:
Live, Love and Serve
Each day, we come together as a class, key-stage or whole school and worship God as a school community. Furthermore, we attend Mass regularly in classes, celebrating with our parish family and our priest, Fr. Tom.
Our school Mini Vinnies help to drive our commitment to putting our faith into action.
The chaplaincy team (consisting of parish members, staff and children) meets termly to co-ordinate, organise and deliver opportunities for us all to develop our own faith.
We have regular prayer groups within the school day to worship and pray together based on feasts, seasons and current affairs.
See below for examples of our faith in action
- Our Chaplaincy team met on 29th September to discuss plans and initiatives for developing the faith life of the school family
- Each Tuesday and Friday during October, Mrs Jay and Mrs Teasdale led the children in a rosary group. This provided an opportunity for quiet and prayerful reflection
- October 13th saw the 100-year anniversary of the final apparition of Our Lady to the children of Fatima. A group of children in Year 5 went to St. Mary’s Cathedral to venerate the relics of Sts. Jacinta and Francisco: two of the Fatima children who were recently canonised in May 2017
- Last year, Miss Murray delivered and assembly to introduce the children to the Mini Vinnies. Since then, we have a team of children who are in the Mini Vinnies and lead whole-school initiatives to help those who a less fortunate through prayer and action.
- To mark the first annual World Day of the Poor, we wore dotty clothes and raised over £200 to send to the John-Paul Centre
- During November, each class brought in Hampers to help less fortunate families have happier Christmas through the CAUSE appeal
- During Advent, members of our school and parish community were invited to join us to reflect and pray, focussing on the themes and messages of Advent
- Each night during Advent, different children in every class took home a travelling crib to reflect and pray at home with their families
- The Year 5 and 6 children led our local community in an Advent reflection at the Holy Name of Mary parish church
- Our Mini Vinnies had a cake stall, raising £60 for the John-Paul Centre
- As in Advent, we invited members of our school and parish family to join us during Lent to reflect and pray, focusing on the passion and sacrifice of Christ
- During Holy Week, the children in each year group led reflections and liturgies, beginning with a Palm Sunday celebration from EYFS, and journeying with Christ through a reflection on Maundy Thursday with Y1/2, a Good Friday liturgy from Y3/4 and culminating a reflection on the Stations of the Cross with Year 5/6
- Furthermore, during Holy Week, children were invited to journey through the Stations of the Cross in the school hall each break time
- Throughout Lent, children took home red Mission Together boxes to raise money for their Together in Sri Lanka appeal. Thanks to your generosity, we have raised over £500 to support the children and families in Sri Lanka who need it most
- The children in St. Edward’s were invited to take part in the Lourdes Prayer Card Competition, in which children were to submit designs that would then be sold in Lourdes during the diocesan pilgrimage. Two budding artists in Year 5 won the competition this year!
- The children who will be making their First Holy Communion later this year celebrated their First Reconciliation as part of a liturgy with Father Tom
- Each Friday during May, Mrs Jay and Mrs Teasdale led the children in the rosary to commemorate the month of Our Lady
- The children have been writing prayer intentions to be taken to Lourdes and posted into the petitions box at the Grotto in the Lourdes Sanctuary
- On Ascension Day, we celebrated Mass with our parish family, beginning Mass with an introduction and leading the Bidding Prayers and Offertory Procession